38.1K views
2.0

Bought car insurance on two of my cars, one car's engine light came on was told by Car shield to take it to the shop and my deductible would only be 100.00. so got the mechanic to call Car shield after he used the diagnostic computer analysis to find out what was wrong with the car!

He was told none of the problems my car had were covered under my car insurance and I would have to pay them out of my own pocket. including the diagnostic analysis which was 130.00 my problem is they advertise that only 100.00 deductible BUT that's only if they approve the claim, which is not mentioned in their advertisements on T.V. or by the salesman, but you can not find out want is wrong with your car if you do not have the diagnostic analysis1. So it's a catch 22!

so taking your car in is a *** because you do not know what the result will be and then your stuck with the bill! car shield's claims dept was so slow, I waited 45 minutes on hold finally a recording came on and said if you would like us to call you back please leave your phone number and someone will get back to you in 15-20 minutes, 45 minutes later I called back got customer service who informed me that maybe it was a pre exzisting condition and it wasn't covered? another told me maybe they got the two cars mixed up?.

My mechanic then called me and said he had been on the phone trying to get through to the claims dept for hours! no one from claims ever called me back, I finally canceled my insurance on both cars and will be getting my money back, paying 200.00 a month for insurance on your cars incase they break down and then getting stuck with an 800.00 bill and they won't even cover the diagnostics to find out want is wrong with your car a very bad insurance policy and company!.

t

Product or Service Mentioned: Carshield Protection Plan.

Reason of review: Not as described/ advertised.

Preferred solution: just letting people know not to buy this insurance.

CarShield Cons: Customer service and claims dept.

Comments

#2067981

Why the heck should you have to pay any deductible for a$100+ a month car part repair insurance company !?

#2054587

I am currently looking for warranty insurance but after reading this post post. I have changed my mind about CARSHIELD.!!!

#2048012

I would never buy this type of "Insurance" from anyone, not even dealer extended warranties. It's just not worth it.

Since 2002 my family (4 of us) & I have owned 9 different vehicles. I keep a spreadsheet of all repairs & maintenance done on these cars & pickup trucks since the day we owned them to the day we sold, totaled or junked them. Maintenance & Repairs included everything from oil changes every 5,000 miles, tire rotations, cabin filter replacements, cooling system repairs/flushes, Transmission work, new catalytic converters to new brakes/rotors, new tires, new batteries, steering issues, timing belts, water pumps, back-up camera replacement, tune ups, new exhaust systems, head light replacements, paint touch-ups, and even windshield washer fluid refills & inspection stickers, and ALL work was performed by either a Dealership or local mechanic (Not by owner). Not one vehicle exceeded an average of $1,000 a year, many less than $500/year average.

How much do people pay for all that with Car Shield? I'm also pretty sure Car Shield DOES NOT pay for routine preventative maintenance which my figures include. Today's cars are far more reliable than they were when I was 16 in the early 1970s. So don't let someone sell you insurance that costs more than your repairs would, that's wasteful.

After all, that's exactly how they make their profits. They use fear to sell this type of insurance. With all my maintenance & repairs, I did not have deal with a 3rd party like Car Shield and experience claims being denied either.I could have saved money doing my own oil changes & battery replacements etc., but I didn't since I'm older. Remember, not all these repairs happen in the same year.

2002 Ford Ranger = $2,936/6 years owned = avg $489/year for ALL maintenance & repairs 2004 Hyundai Elantra = $5,092/8 years owned = avg $637/year for ALL maintenance & repairs 2004 Hyundai Sonata = $8,924/9 years owned = avg $992/year for ALL maintenance & repairs 2005 Chevy Cobalt = $650/2 years owned = avg $325/year for ALL maintenance & repairs 2010 Ford Focus = $3,355/10 years owned = avg $336/year for ALL maintenance & repairs 2010 Mazda = $500/2 years owned = avg $250/year for ALL maintenance & repairs 2012 KIA Optima = $7,629/8 years owned = avg $954/year for ALL maintenance & repairs 2014 Nissan Frontier = $4,726/5 years owned = avg $946/year for ALL maintenance & repairs 2019 Honda CRV = $200/2 years owned = avg $100/year for ALL maintenance & repairs I shake my head when I see these types of insurance pushed on TV and I toss out the flyers I receive in the mail from car Shield and a number of similar businesses. Put that money you're paying for premiums in a savings account if you need to have a dedicated car-repair fund. Then watch it grow.

The older a car gets, the more repairs it needs, and I'm sure Car Shield premiums rise with the age of your vehicle too. Car Shield isn't worth it EVEN if they paid for preventive maintenance which they don't.

#2067985
@Phi Vaj

They are greedy corporate giants. That's why they why they won't insure car with over 150,000 miles and that's because most cars don't break down before 150,000 miles. BEWARE !!!!!

#2046087

how do i sue them or join class action law suite

#2040110

Terrible company. People answering the phones are dumb at best and will not transfer you to someone with a logical brain. Worst investment ever, Ice-T can do his commercials but he has been a nobody for may years.

#2061888
@PissedConsumer2040110

I agree!

#2039707

I am so glad I came to pissed I have car shield from what I read over 300+ complaints all referring to the same issues I am dropping my policy ASAP!

#2037323

My own mechanic said "Don't get it, they don't cover a lot of what goes wrong on a car". He said in the last 4-5 years, many of his customers had problems with Carshield.

They still had to pay him for what was not covered.

Save your money in a separate "Car account" at your own bank, and you'll have the money you'll need in the future to fix your car. Good luck!

#2026056

My mother had one, but she dropped it

#2025741

Can’t be trusted

#2024660

You got ripped off

#2022680

The same thing just happened to my Dad. Been paying for Carshield only to find out when he needs an engine repair it’s not covered.

#2020779

Good to hear and see someone that tells it how it is. I'd rather hear the truth.

Then to see only 4.5 and 5 stars.

That is total *** and pumpin the nextdoor neighbors dogs. So thank you for telling the truth

#2035430
@PissedConsumer2020779

The review is probably put up by the company. If it sounds to good to be true - you know the rest.

#2011113

no one is going to pay thousands for your car repairs/that is common sense/ if you fell for it its your fault

#2011262
@PissedConsumer2011113

If you see the advertisement constantly being viewed on tv, plus call which and contact them. This can happen to anyone. Glad it didn’t happen to you.

#2007246

We need some help, we're being scammed as well. Equus car broke down, no mechanic on duty.

No one wanted to help at the dealership. Calls Car Shield and they made like they were really cared about your situation, but only giving you the run around, back and forth on calls, then being held on the phone long periods of time until the office is closed. Not covering any parts on the car. Have the premium package with them, now saying I have to pay out the pocket and also not reimbursing for car rental I had to purchase on my own.

Angry with Hyundai and Car Shield.

Something has to be done. Next move is all the news stations and Better Business Bureau

#2046330
@Elasia

I believe BBB already gives them an F. I'm so glad I read all these reviews. Thanks to all of you, but sorry you got cheated.

#2061894
@Elasia

I put the premium amount in an account every month, and when the check engine light came on, I had the $500 in my account to cover it and still have a healthy balance in my account.

CarShield Reviews