map-marker Muskogee, Oklahoma

Service needed not provided by company

Im upset. I paid every month but dont get nothing back. This happened to me before but I continue to pay my premium. My oil pan leak is not covered
Matthew R Sgd

Don't BUY THIS INSURANCE

Bought car insurance on two of my cars, one car's engine light came on was told by Car shield to take it to the shop and my deductible would only be 100.00. so got the mechanic to call Car shield after he used the diagnostic computer analysis to find out what was wrong with the car!

He was told none of the problems my car had were covered under my car insurance and I would have to pay them out of my own pocket. including the diagnostic analysis which was 130.00 my problem is they advertise that only 100.00 deductible BUT that's only if they approve the claim, which is not mentioned in their advertisements on T.V. or by the salesman, but you can not find out want is wrong with your car if you do not have the diagnostic analysis1. So it's a catch 22!

so taking your car in is a *** because you do not know what the result will be and then your stuck with the bill! car shield's claims dept was so slow, I waited 45 minutes on hold finally a recording came on and said if you would like us to call you back please leave your phone number and someone will get back to you in 15-20 minutes, 45 minutes later I called back got customer service who informed me that maybe it was a pre exzisting condition and it wasn't covered? another told me maybe they got the two cars mixed up?.

My mechanic then called me and said he had been on the phone trying to get through to the claims dept for hours! no one from claims ever called me back, I finally canceled my insurance on both cars and will be getting my money back, paying 200.00 a month for insurance on your cars incase they break down and then getting stuck with an 800.00 bill and they won't even cover the diagnostics to find out want is wrong with your car a very bad insurance policy and company!.

t

Loss:
Cons:
  • Customer service and claims dept
Reason of review:
Not as described/ advertised

Preferred solution: just letting people know not to buy this insurance

Guest

thank you for helping me move on to another company...

Phi Vaj
reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2172794

Fair warning, ALL these companies operate pretty much the same. Cars today are very reliable.

Put your money in the bank and use it for maintenance & real repairs, not for insurance that you'll most likely end up having to pay for the repairs yourself anyway. People typically buy insurance for a piece of mind, but when it comes to car repair policies, you're buying empty promises. Nearly everything with a vehicle can be attributed to "normal wear & tear", "pre-existing condition", "neglect or abuse". Remember, maintenance is not included in the coverage.

Send the check to a charity, they'll pay as much towards your car repairs as these "polices" will. Car repair shops are NOT required to deal with Car Shield or any of these companies (most smaller shops will tell you to deal with them, AFTER you pay them first). Why create those headaches for yourself?

You'll always pay a lot more in premiums than you'll ever get out of them. But it's your money.

Guest

Why is carshild commercials on California t v??? It says Not a!valible in California so take that annoying commercial off!!

Phi Vaj
reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2157534

California probably kicked them out. Consider yourself lucky.

Celita Ycy

Paid actors are what you're seeing on their advertisements. What you read in these comments is the reality of what occurs when claims are presented, no actors.

Attorneys write these contracts including the fine print. Cars today have a high rate of dependability and infrequent break downs. If you feel a need to buy a service contract, go to a franchised dealer for your brand. That way you at least have a physical address (brick and mortar) place of business should you have a problem.

Service contract companies like, Car Shield, have been around a long time the pioneers and subsequent companies are no longer in business for good reason. Now, like a transformer they reinvent themselves into what we have here. In time, Car Shield will be gone, like their predecessors leaving a trail of unhappy customers and their class action lawsuits.

Do not fall into that category. Do not waste your time or money in what your being sold.

Guest

There is a BBB alert on this company, citing a pattern of failing to provide customer service or make repairs. BBB urges consumers to use caution if they decide to do business with CarShield. They have an F rating and thousands of complaints.

Guest

Well just look at the chimp in the comercials that says it all

Guest

I called them to get information about their service because of a radio ad I heard. I had to tell the salesman twice that I was simply calling for a free quote as advertised as he was very eager to get me to sign up with a credit card.

I then told him again I was simply asking for a quote as a favor for another person.

In the end I felt something wasn't right and hung up. I did a consumer review by finding this thread and am glad I went with my gut feeling.

Jacquelynn Mzu

These types of auto repair insurance companies have been around for a long time. They are not "warranties" Only authorized dealers, through the manufacturer offer factory coverage for either new, pre-owned or certified vehicles.

Companies like Car Shield are for profit corporations. Their goal is to sell as many policies as they can and in many cases adjust claims by referring to the fine print in a convoluted policy description. be aware of what you are purchasing and understand that attorneys have written these policies. My thought is if you're going to buy protection do it through a dealer that sells your brand name.

Not all cars will qualify. That way you have a brick-and-mortar place of business (an actual physical building) that services your type of vehicle for a face-to-face conversation should you have an issue you would stand a better chance of resolution should you have an issue.

reply icon Replying to comment of Jacquelynn Mzu

Agree 100%

View more comments (132)
Leonard P Dnn

Verified Reviewer

Their advertising misrepresents their service

CarShield - Their advertising misrepresents their service
The commercial and advertising are all false. We have been with CarShield for 5+ years, making our payments on time and keeping our car regularly maintained at the dealership. We had a problem with the throttle body a couple of years ago and we were denied the claim because in the fine print, throttle bodies aren't covered. This past month, when we took the car in for service they said that the car was burning oil and needed to do a teardown to figure out the problem. We reported this to CarShield, they approved the teardown and authorized us to get a rental vehicle. The dealership did the teardown and realized that a new engine would be needed, but had to wait three weeks to get an inspection from CarShield. They finally came and did the inspection and sent my wife a text saying that the repairs are approved. Great! Until the following day when they called to say that the repairs were not approved AND since they weren't, we had to pay for the rental car...after a 3 week delay on their part! Basically, in our experience, every word in their commercials and ads and on the website are untrue. We paid over $5,000 in premiums for absolutely nothing but disappointment in return. We have canceled this bogus service and recommend that everyone else do the same. No matter the issue with your car, they have some unseen little loophole to get out of paying for it like they say. This is not an extended warranty, this is a scam. The only response they had to our questions is "you didn't read the fine print." If we saw everything in the fine print, we never would have paid a nickel to this company, because nothing is covered.Do not get an extended warranty through them
Loss:
Pros:
  • False sense of security
Cons:
  • False sense of security and they do not follow through
Alice S Pmq

| map-marker Muskogee, Oklahoma

Parts not covered that need repaired, cancel my acct

My truck has an oil leak from the oil pan. It would cost over $800 to fix it and it is not covered by CarShield.
Jun Vsv
map-marker Baltimore, Maryland

To warm fellow consumers.

CarShield has very deceptive advertising and business practices. Their policies are filled with loopholes for non payment. Buyer beware.

User's recommendation: Don't buy what they selling.

Riketa M

Verified Buyer

Carshield is a Rip Off

Carshield is a Rip Off
I purchased them to cover my vehicle but they left my car at a repair shop for 2 weeks while they sent to different adjusters with No communication from them. They argued with the mechanics, asked me for additional information and I gave them everything they asked for. My transmission needed repaired but they denied my claim for lack of service at 120k miles. Even when I gave them a service record when my vehicle was serviced at 123k miles with no repairs needed. They find reasons to deny your claim and take so long to process your claim without a rental. You have to pay for the repairs yourself so it's no need to have them as your warranty.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Are scammers and they false advertise

User's recommendation: Absolutely Do Not use Carshield

Alice S Pmq

| map-marker Muskogee, Oklahoma

Claim isn’t covered by carshield

Talked with representative need to get diagnostics done on truck. Claim isnt covered by car shield. I want to cancel my contract as Im paying in and getting nothing back from my paid services
Jassodra L

Car Shield A Rip Off

Last October I took my Car in which I was told I had a bad seal in my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Car Shield refused to pay for my $5000 repair for a Transfer case. The seal had a leak which sucked the fluid back into the transmission and Car shield told my repair shop it was my fault. After being a Loyal member for over 3 years, and then back and forth with 2 repair shops telling Car Shield my problem, which they refused to take heed to my situation, I will not recommend this company to anyone.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Rip off
Cons:
  • Rip iff

Vickie J Fif

Verified Reviewer

Need to ask question about filing a claim

I just want info to take my car to see about an oil leak. I'm considering Stan Mcnabb Chevrolet to get a quote and see what's wrong.

Preferred solution: Live rep

User's recommendation: Just need to talk to a live rep

Craig M Hrg

Verified Reviewer

Refund on my canceled policies

I called in on 5th of January to cancel my account but they didn't take my card of auto pay.so I need refund on the amount of 119.99 .before Friday. Thank you.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Ha e good service
Cons:
  • People are rude

map-marker Oakland, Maryland

Claim dispute.

Filed 2 claims with Car Shield & they denied both of them. They are not what their commercials say they are. Also, they prorated the money I paid to their advantage. Shorted me in a very unfair way!! They should be investigated!!!0
Melissa B Umk

Not happy

Carshield denied my claim my car has been in the shop for 9 months unless u want sued i suggest my car get fixed they told me it will cost over 6000 dollars please call back at 724413****. Melissa bowser
Loss:
Pros:
  • Answer the phone
Cons:
  • Did nothing

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Don't take it out

Maxine W Brs

No response from Car Shield on claim

My 2016 Hyundai Tucson broke down with engine problems while on an out of state trip in September, the same problem in December and again in January 2024. I waited to see what Hyundai was going to cover and then filed a claim to CarShield online on 12/12/23 for expenses not covered by Hyundai. I received a call asking me to send all receipts to records@***.com which I immediately did. Hyundai covered all repairs but there were two garages out of town who tried to fix it as well as towing charges to the closest Hyundai dealer. and rental car expense in that town. I then had towing charges for the second break-down back home in the Atlanta area. The total for towing fees, rental car expense and the two out of town garages totaled $3,041.41. The only response I have received from Car Shield was a recorded message to rate the response I received. That was a couple of days after the lady called to tell me where to send receipts. I followed up on January 31, 2024 for a status. To this date, I have not received a text, phone call or e-mail from CarShield. They are obviously just ignoring my claim altogether.

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Avoid this company at all costs

Insurance Expert Talks

Exposed: Types of Insurance Scams and Fails

Mar 7, 2021

In this video interview, Charles R. Gallagher, an attorney, explains what sort of insurance fraud happens with consumers. Find out more about insurance fraud, the worst cases discovered, and how to protect yourself from insurance scam.

Read full article
Charles
Charles

Charles R. Gallagher, an attorney and managing partner with Gallagher & Associates. His practice focuses on insurance litigation, foreclosure defense and consumer law.

Jodi H Yor

Payment

I'm trying to make a payment, but the phone numbers I've tried have been busy. I noticed a payment was not made. I want to resolve this as soon as I can.

Preferred solution: My payment made

User's recommendation: New number that works

Thomas S Rtc

Canceled coverage

Was told no money would be taken out of my account. 2 days later my account shows they took the money out that morning I called and refuse to refund my money.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Too high pushy salesman mileading

Beth B Qwp

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE - if you could call it customer service...

Details: we submitted a claim to CarShield, had the car towed to the repair shop, and that is where customer service ended. The adjuster after numerous calls and talking with a supervisor finally went to the repair shop a week after the claim was put in and stayed all of about 3 mins, told the repair shop they did not need pictures (nor did he take any) and that he did not need to have the issue demonstrated so boom our claim was denied. Of course, they don't call or send you a notification you have to call and ask, and then they were like ok we need to have pictures and video uploaded to our sight, we were then told the videos and pics were too high def so they needed lower quality to view boom repair shop uploads lower quality. Again no contact, we call and they say oh the claim was denied b/c the work was completed before the warranty, NO the work was not completed they took an old part they had sitting around to demonstrate what the issue was and what needed to be repaired. Oh My Flipping Word - what a bunch of *** So we will pay to have our car fixed, but please be warned CarShield is SHADY and CROOKED and a JOKE!!! I cannot tell you how many idiots we talked to on the phone and supervisors - NONE were any good. One of the best lines we heard was this was a pre-existing condition, well the car is 7 years old with 100k miles on it, my guess is even though we did not know about the current issue or any others on a car that age all issues could be classified as pre-existing. That would be my like medical insurance saying well you're over 50 now anything that goes wrong with you is pre-existing. We will be disputing any payments with our credit card company, turning them into the Better Business Bureau and contemplating getting an attorney. The cost of the repairs are about 2k, if CarShield is willing to trash their reputation for that amount, one could only guess what they would do for a really pricey repair.
Pros:
  • There are no pros
  • Only cons
Cons:
  • Shady and crooked
  • Thieves
  • Crooked

Preferred solution: I would like them to repair my car

User's recommendation: !!!Don't waste your money - keep looking elsewhere!!!

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article